Preparing basmati rice in an Instapot is as easy as boiling water in a kettle. However, there are a few things you need to know about cooking a good pot of basmati rice in an Instapot which we are really excited to share with you. There are not many steps to it but trust us when we say, each step matters here.
Ingredients To Preparing Basmati Rice In An Instapot
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of unsalted butter, optional
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Electric pressure cooker
Instructions To Preparing Basmati Rice In An Instapot
- Place the Basmati rice, water, and salt in the inner/insert the bowl of the cooker and lock it with its lid.
- Set cook time for 4 minutes, high pressure.
- After which, you should let steam release naturally for 10 minutes. Do not open the steam valve.
- Then carefully, quick-release the remaining pressure until the cooker lid opens. You can then add the butter, if you want and fluff it with a fork.
Why Should You Prepare Basmati Rice?
The foremost reason to preparing basmati rice is that it is really delicious! Basmati rice is aromatic and the longest grain of rice that is slightly nutty in its flavour. It is an Indian food that is mostly enjoyed with daal, or keema or butter chicken. But you can enjoy it whatever fits your taste and is curry-like. The best way of knowing whether your basmati rice is cooked or not is by seeing if the grains have separated or not and that they are not sticking together. You have to ensure that the rice has not become watery or mushy and that it is soft and fluffy. It is then that you know that the basmati rice has been cooked to perfection.
Do You Have To Soak Basmati Rice Before Cooking It?
Yes, soaking basmati rice before you cook it is essential. In doing this, the fragile grains get to absorb a bit of water that makes the grains soft. Also, there is a lot of starch in basmati rice which tend to make the rice sticky. So when you soak the rice in water before cooking it, it prevents the rice from becoming mushy.
Some More Important Tips
- Adding some cooking fat such as ghee or butter or even oil to the basmati rice when cooked helps to separate the grains.
- Don’t add more than the required quantity of basmati rice. Add not more than a cup of it because when you cook basmati rice in stove, the water can evaporate but with an Instapot it does not, so try not messing with the quantity.
- Once you know the rice has been cooked, wait for another 7 to 10 minutes before you release the valve to release the pressure. This will give the rice time to settle down and also the required time to let the bit of water in it to escape in the form of steam. This also prevents the rice at the bottom of the pot from becoming sticky.
What Kind Of Basmati Rice Is Good To Use?
Basmati rice comes in different brands as well as shapes. So the time required for the basmati rice to be cooked will depend on the brand used. A lot of people tend to opt for organic basmati rice these days, which is good. But the local brands are equally good as well. A lot depends on how long you want the grains to be.