If you are cooking macaroni and cheese with ham and peas at home in your Instant Pot brace yourself for a perfect and quick meal which is creamy and not so grainy as well! In this blog, we share with you the perfect recipe to making mac and cheese at home in your Instant Pot and also get creative in the add-ins and toppings. Mac and cheese is a bowl of gooey goodness that is a favourite with dinner meals. It is easy to prepare and is also versatile as you can add fancy ingredients to it as a part of the topping option and the mix-in items.
In our recipe we have added ham and peas to the recipe, but if you are into ham and peas, you could still create the perfect base with chicken or fried vegetables in it. Whatever you add the idea is to keep the texture creamy, and not so granular.
Macaroni and Toppings
The recipe below will have added layers of parmesan cheese to make the dish a little crispy and also bubbly at the top. In case you do not want to bake, you could also broil it for a minute or two in case you want to make the texture extra creamy and crusty at the top. You could also add crumb toppings by adding bread crumbs along with parmesan cheese in it. You could get fancier with it stuffing whatever you feel like would taste good with it. There is no end to the possibilities with macaroni and cheese.
The recipe of mac and cheese with ham and peas ideally needs sharp cheddar cheese in it. But you could also mix more than one cheese for added flavour. For example, mixing parmesan cheese with Havarti which is smooth and creamy and will melt great in the macaroni.
Note: You need to keep the base of the macaroni and cheese consistent to ensure that neither of the ingredient is too much in the dish.
- 4 cups of lukewarm water
- 1 packet of macaroni
- 1 teaspoon of dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt for taste
- 1 teaspoon of hot sauce
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- ⅓ cup of whole milk
- 2 tablespoon full of unsalted butter
- 2 cups of parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of boiled ham
- ½ cup of frozen peas
- Black pepper (grounded) for taste
- Preparation time: 25 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Total time required: 45 minutes
- Total calories: 607 calories
Recipe to Cooking Mac and Cheese With Ham and Peas in Instant Pot
- Add water, macaroni, mustard powder, hot sauce and salt in the Instant Pot and close and lock the lid of the pot.
- Now set the timer at about 5 minutes to a high pressure and keep it in high pressure for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Carefully release the pressure with the help of quick-release method for about 5 minutes. You can now remove and unlock the lid of the pot.
- Turn the switch to Low Saute function. In doing that, slowly stir the macaroni in order to remove any kind of clump.
- Take the evaporated milk, whole milk and unsalted butter in a pot and stir it well to create a mix. Add parmesan cheese into the mix gradually and keep stirring to make a creamy texture out of it. You will notice that the cheese will start melting evenly.
- Once the texture thickens, add ham and peas to it along with salt and black pepper for taste.
Your mac and cheese with ham and peas is ready to be served! For dressing you could sprinkle some oregano and rosemary powder over it, along with chopped coriander.