Posole literally means “hominy” which refers to a coarsely grounded corn. It is a Mexican soup which is made of hominy, and meat (typically pork is used for it) and it is dressed with chopped cabbages onions, garlic, black pepper (grounded), lime and served with salsa dip as well. The soup is satisfying and has a rich taste to it and it can instantly prepared to perfection using an Instant Pot. It is served in a bowl and you can add your choice of toppings along with which could even be olives, sliced jalapenos, or pickles.
- 1 tablespoon full of olive oil
- 2 pounds of pork cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 diced onion
- 3 pressed garlic
- 1 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon of grounded cumin
- 4 cups of chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 can of red enchilada sauce
- 1 packet of chopped green chillies
- ⅓ cup of chopped cilantro
Basics to Red Posole
- Preparation time required: 15 minutes
- Cooking time required: 45 minutes
- Total time required: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Calories per serving: 263 calories
Recipe to Preparing Red Posole in an Instant Pot
- Turn on the Instant Pot and select the Saute function.
- Put 1 tablespoon full of olive oil in the pot.
- Mix the pork cubes with pressed garlic, onions, chilli powder, chipotle powder, black pepper, oregano and grounded cumin in a separate bowl.
- Now add the mix in small batches in the heated olive oil until the pork becomes brown in colour. Let the pork become brown and cook it for about 5 minutes per batch.
- Once you know the pork has been cooked well, turn off the Instant Pot.
- Blend the chicken broth with the enchilada sauce, green chillies and cilantro well and then clock and lock the lid of the
- Instant Pot.
- Now set the Pot at high pressure and put the timer at 20 minutes. Let the pressure of the pot build for about 15-20 minutes.
- Now release the pressure of the pot carefully by using the natural release method for about 20 minutes.
- Slowly unlock the lid of the pot and add the hominy in it and stir until it blends well with the rest of the mix.
You can also use mild or hot green chillies as per your taste.
Your Red Posole is ready to be served! You could garnish it with chopped coriander and diced olives over it and then enjoy it with salsa dip as well.