So you got an instant pot and now want to make yogurt? Well, making your own nutritious, versatile and probiotic-rich yogurt isn’t a walk in the park. Unfortunately, all the requirements you come across advice you to use the yogurt button which at times you don’t even have. Don’t fret, you too can make your scrummy yogurt.
You just need whole milk and a few tablespoons of plain yogurt. After making your first batch, ensure you save a few tablespoons of yogurt for your next batch when your supply is low.
For a more enjoyable bowl for breakfast, top your yogurt with fruit, chopped nuts or even honey. In case you want to make vanilla yogurt, simply stir a little vanilla extract to taste. In a nutshell, making your favorite yogurt in an instant pot just entails tree steps which are sanitation, inoculation, and incubation and the vital part of it is that none of them should be skipped.
Preparing Yogurt In An Instant Pot
Making yogurt in an Instant Pot is the same as preparing it in a large saucepot. The same process is the same without the fuss of using individual jars. Here are the four phases of preparing yogurt using an Instant Pot:
Phase 1: Heat The Milk
- The vent which is on top of the pot should be turned towards “sealing” and make sure the pot is plugged in.
- Pour half a gallon of whole milk in the inner pot.
- Press the yogurt button and then adjust the pot.
- You will notice the word “More” lighting up, the word “Boil” will show on the display.
- The pot will then begin to heat the milk which will take exactly 26 minutes to heat half a gallon of milk at 180 degrees
- Fahrenheit in Phase 1. Once the milk is heated completely, “Yogt” will appear on the display.
- Post this, you can remove the lid from the Instant Pot. Make sure that the condensation from the lid drip into the milk.
- Press Yogurt and Adjust again if you want to hold the milk at 180 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 5 minutes. This will turn the heat back again. However, at this point, the milk won’t boil again even if the lid will be off. This heat will rather help to thicken the yogurt without the need for thickeners. Hit Keep Warm/Cancel when it is completed.
Phase 2: Cool The Milk
- You can unplug the unit at this phase. Now remove the inner pot and place it on a wire rack. Let the milk cool at 115 degrees Fahrenheit in this phase. To speed up the process of cooling, put the inner pot in a bowl of icy water and then stir it gently. Once the milk has cooled down considerably, lift off and remove any milk skin on the top layer.
Phase 3: Inoculate A Starter
- Put two tablespoons of active yogurt in the medium bowl. This should be your starter.
- Spoon out half a cup of warm milk in the starter. Scrape back the milky starter in the inner pot.
- Put the inner pot back in the Instant Pot. You can remove the thermometer now and close the lid while you plug in the pot back.
Phase 4: Incubate Until The Milk Is Fermented
- Push the Yogurt button on and then add the required time by pressing the (+) key to set the time to 8 hours.
- In the set 8 hours, your yogurt will be set completely and once the process is completed “Yogt” will be displayed. You can then scoop the yogurt out in jars or containers and then let it refrigerate for as many hours as you want.
More Tips For Yogurt Lovers
- Boil the milk for a longer period during descaling.
- You can strain the yogurt on a cloth that is positioned over a bowl and let it drain inside the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
- The liquid that will drain out of it is protein rich whey.
- You can use non-fat milk powder at the beginning of the process of preparing yogurt.
When all said and done, for the lovers of Instant Pot yogurts, it’s my hope that the above guide will really help fill any gaps in the manuals instructions. Simply enjoy the process and ultimately, the outcome.