Mashed sweet potatoes are a side dish that can be enjoyed with just about anything from roasted chicken, sauteed vegetables, steaks and a lot more. It is prepared by boiling sweet potatoes and then adding milk and butter to it to make a smooth mash. You could even add olive oil, chopped vegetables, and bacon or chicken bits for additional taste and to spice up the dish. Mashed sweet potatoes are also poured over with spicy gravy sometimes so that it can be served with roasts or meatloaf. It is delicious, moist and is filled with flavour that can instantly be cooked in your Instant Pot.
Mashed sweet potatoes are essential in an American Thanksgiving dinner. It could even be hand mashed but never whip it or else it would lead its texture and you will end up making it extremely gooey.
Basics of Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time required: 30 minutes
- Calories per serving: 204 calories
Ingredients Required for Preparing Mashed Sweet Potatoes in an Instant Pot
- 3 pounds of peeled sweet potatoes
- ½ cup of full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup of vegetable broth
- 4 peeled cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper (grounded)
- 2 tablespoons of salted butter
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
Recipe to Preparing Mashed Sweet Potatoes in an Instant Pot
- To begin with, add the sweet potatoes, full-fat coconut milk, vegetable broth, garlic, salt, and black pepper together in your Instant Pot.
- Once all the ingredients are combined, close and lock the lid of the pot.
- Select high pressure for cooking it in the Instant Pot and set the timer at 8 minutes.
- Now allow the pressure to built up for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- After the pressure has been built, carefully release the pressure by using a quick-release method for about 5 minutes. You can unlock and remove the lid of the pot now.
- Once this is done, carefully remove the pot and place it on a trivet.
- Mash the sweet potatoes with butter in the pot with the help of a potato masher and add salt and pepper for taste.
- You could even add beef or chicken broth instead of vegetable broth to the mixture, and ghee in place of salted butter for a different taste.
Your mashed sweet potatoes are ready to be served! You can use this mashed sweet potatoes as the intermediary dish with the main course such as dumplings, or gnocchi, in which the potatoes can either be baked or boiled depending on how you prefer it.